Did you know that your favorite pricey mascara likely has a cheaper, drugstore duplicate? Here’s how I found my favorite drugstore mascara dupe!
A few years ago, I started experimenting with different mascaras. I’d faithfully used the L’Oreal Voluminous mascara for years and years. I liked it ok, but I was curious if there was another type and brand out there that would give me a bit more definition in my lashes, help them to look longer, and more full.
Here’s my disclaimer–I naturally have long, curly eyelashes. Don’t hate me. lol. My issue has always been that my lashes are long, but they also turn blonde at the tips. This means that I can’t go without mascara without looking very different! I know I’m not the only one who struggles with this, I’m sure.
So, I started to search for a new mascara that would not only continue to give me the length I loved from the L’Oreal Voluminous mascara, but that would also help to define even the shortest of my lashes. I don’t have extremely thick lashes, so I want to make the most of what I’m working with. I had heard about a pricey mascara by Benefit, but the almost $30 price tag made me nervous. What if I didn’t like it? Or, what if I did like it and then I’d have to fork over $30 every few months on a tube of mascara?? I’m normally a pretty thrifty spender, and I like to get a good quality product for a low price if possible.
I tried the fancy mascara. And, unfortunately for my pocketbook, I loved it! It had the most amazing brush that really caught each of my lashes. Even the tiny ones at the corners of my eyes!
What I Loved about the Benefit They’re Real Mascara-
- The brush on the end of the wand. Those tiny bristles at the tip of that wand are amazing at catching the tiniest of eyelashes and coating them with mascara. This gives you the appearance of more lashes than you realized you had.
- It dries quickly and isn’t a very wet formula. One of my major complaints with the Voluminous mascara I had used previously, is the issue I had with it transferring under my eyes before and after it dried.
- The packaging. I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for good marketing and packaging!
Here’s what I didn’t love—–the price. I couldn’t get over how much I was spending on just mascara! Especially with how fast I seemed to go through a tube.
And so, I began looking for a drugstore mascara dupe. One that would give me the definition and volume I’d been loving with the pricey mascara, but that wouldn’t make me cringe every time I needed to purchase more. Luckily, I’ve found a dupe I love!
So, here’s my favorite drugstore mascara dupe–are you ready?
L’Oreal Telescopic mascara has become my new go-to mascara for over a year now. Why do I love it so much? Honestly, the biggest reason is probably the price. At under $10, I don’t get nervous to tell my husband how much I just spent on mascara. (Not that he would care a lot anyway, but still.)
Here’s 4 more reasons I love L’Oreal Telescopic mascara-
- It’s extremely easy to find at stores I’m already shopping at. No more special trips to the mall to hit Sephora or going out of my way to Ulta Beauty to find the pricey mascara. I can swing through the cosmetics section at Target or Walmart and grab more mascara when I run out.
- It has the same dry formula as the Benefit mascara. This means I don’t have to worry about it rubbing off easily, or transferring to my undereyes throughout the day. Even in the summer humidity of the Midwest, I don’t have an issue.
- The brush is very similar to my former favorite. The only thing missing is the tiny bristles on the very tip of the brush head. But, the brush head is thinner than the Benefit brush so I can get to the root of my lashes easier.
- I can have defined lashes that also look natural. I’m not a huge fan of lashes that look clumpy or stuck together. I prefer to see each lash separated. This mascara gives me the look I love.
One downside to my cheaper mascara? The wand is pretty long. It does take some getting used to at first. But now, I’m so used to it, I prefer it to other, shorter wands!
Do you have a favorite drugstore mascara dupe you love? Are you a self-proclaimed mascara snob? (It’s totally cool if you are. We all get to be picky about what we put on our faces!) Any other dupes or high end formulas I should try? Let me know in the comments!
Now that we’ve talked mascara, did you know I love eyeshadow, too? Check out my eyeshadow technique posts here. And for my all time favorite eyeshadows–that fit my criteria of good quality and lower prices, shop at the link below!